the least worst of james windsor

because we all like avoiding what we really should be doing.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

English As a Second Language

I got this from this months Harpers. An excellent xmas gift for all.

From a guide intended to help foreigners, understand the idosyncrasies of British English, found by a journalist for the The Economist earlier this year on an office wall in the European Court of Justice.

What they Say: I'm sure it's my fault
What is understood: It is his fault.
What They Mean: It is your fault.

What they Say: I'll bear it in mind.
What is understood: He will probably do it.
What they Mean: I will do nothing about it.

What they Say: I was a bit disappointed that...
What is understood: It doesn't really matter.
What they Mean: I am most upset and cross.

What they Say: By the way/incidentally...
What is understood: This is not important.
What they Mean:The primary purpose of our discussion is...

What they Say: I hear what you say.
What is understood: He accepts my point of view.
What they Mean: I disagree and do not want to discuss it any further.

What they Say: Correct me if I'm wrong.
What is understood: Tell me what you think.
What they Mean: I know I'm right - please don't contradict me.

What they Say: With the greatest respect...
What is understood: He is listening to me.
What they Mean: I think you are wrong, or a fool.

What they Say: This is an original point of view.
What is understood: He likes my ideas.
What they Mean: You must be crazy!

What they Say: Very interesting.
What is understood: He is impressed.
What they Mean: I don't agree, or I don't believe you.

What they Say: You must come for dinner sometime.
What is understood: I will get an invitiation soon.
What they Mean: Not an invitation, just being polite.

What they Say: Quite good.
What is understood: Quite Good
What they Mean: A bit disappointing.


once again visit and read this website daily

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com eXTReMe Tracker More blogs about james windsor.